What a welcome back - and a great display by the lads to get the season up and running again! After 6 weeks off, lots of cake, pop and thumb training on various game consoles, to win away by 7 tries to 1 was fantastic. 37-5 : Mowden U13s are back!!!!
As I was doing an impression of a touch judge on the far side of the pitch, it was difficult to remember and describe all the tries in detail, but they were spread throughout the team, between the forwards and the backs. Both Sam King and Josh Human were denied their tries but scores from Matthew Bancroft, Dan Sanderson, Dan Garvey, Tom Gardiner and Callum Burke pushed the prospect of victory for Mowden further from West’s reach. Josh made up for it towards the end of the second half with a burn through the West defence before leaving the field injured.
I shall take a note pad and pencil to the next game, as a try fest will now be the minimum expectation!
A few points worth a mention:
• Scrum provided a solid platform, winning majority of our ball and a number against the head. Front row now looking very solid and Savas gets to the mark and sets our scrum really well.
• Great tackling from the backs who were up very fast on West Hartlepool, never allowing them the chance to really open their legs. Josh and Matthew Wray marshalled this very well, This is something that we need to continue to develop as it’s a lot easier to stop someone before they get going!
• Saw some good interchanges between forwards and backs, with some really good link up play.
Points to work on......
• Mauling! Lost count of the times that we took the ball in, didn't communicate and then had the ball turned over. We have worked on this, and need to practise securing the ball and getting it to the back of the maul to then drive on or distribute.
• Back row had moments of brilliance in isolation, but need to get back to working well collectively and as a unit.
• A couple of times we saw "white line fever," when a simple pass would have been the better option. 15 a side - ultimate team game.
• Fitness - after a long lay-off it was good to open the lungs again (and that was just running the touch line!) Boys, you all need to take personal responsibility for your fitness please!
And finally, well done to James Allison for his man of the match performance. Great hooking display, and a real opportunity now for James to make the hooker position his own. Well done James, bottle of champagne on the way, but due to your age I have had to drink it for you!
Home to Bishop on Sunday - target is 50 points and none conceded!